POSITION: SOCIAL WORKER, MSW
Temporary – 24 Month Minimum
LOCATION: CENTRAL COMMUNITY OFFICE
SALARY: $41,897 - $57,769/DOE, excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is largest law firm for low-income people in California and is currently accepting applications for the position of Social Worker.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) consists of approximately 150 employees, and over 60 attorneys. The program has an annual operating budget of more than fourteen million dollars, and operates six neighborhood offices and four court-based offices.
· Masters Degree in Social Work;
Excellent organizational, cross-cultural communication skills;
· Prior advocacy or academic experience in housing and/or homeless services preferred; and
Bilingual Spanish or Korean preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
· Provide case management services to clients facing homelessness due to housing and eviction problems;
· Assess clients’ legal, financial, social, medical, psychological and other needs as related to their current housing crisis;
· Assess clients’ eligibility for public assistance and provide referrals and advocacy to assist them in accessing those benefits;
· Develop individualized housing stability plans;
· Provide life-skills training and financial literacy training to enhance housing stability;
· Coordinate medical and mental health treatment, education, vocational training, and other social services;
· Provide counseling and support to clients while LAFLA attorneys litigate their cases through the unlawful detainer court system;
· Mediate conflict between clients and their family and/or landlords to promote housing stability;
· Advocate on behalf of clients to law enforcement, government agencies, social service agencies, educational institutions, medical and legal professionals, and others.
· Conduct site visits to client’s homes to ensure eligibility for Homeless Prevention assistance.
HOW TO APPLY - Please submit a resume to Diane Talamantez, Human Resources, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, 1102 S. Crenshaw Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90019; email@example.com; (323)801-7945 via fax.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD - A nine months probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of age, race, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability.