Director of Development
The Director of Development shapes and manages SAJE’s fund development program in order to create new opportunities to raise funds, sustain and expand funding relationships, enhance SAJE’s profile in the community, and strategically use public relations to support fundraising. The Director of Development is accountable to the Executive Director, supervises one staff member, periodic development interns and volunteers, and is a member of SAJE’s Management Team.
We seek an experienced, motivated, and knowledgeable Development Director to expand SAJE’s fundraising capacity, with special focus on expanding unrestricted funding, increasing support from individual donors, and pursuing grants from national foundations.
Working with the Executive Director, and with assistance from the Development Associate, the Development Director will be responsible for setting and achieving fundraising goals, researching, planning, preparing, organizing and executing all grant proposals, fundraising campaigns, donor relations, special events, and other fundraising functions for SAJE.
- Development, management, and growth of SAJE’s overall organizational fundraising plan.
Leadership of the Development Team that currently includes the Executive Director and a Development Associate.
- Tracking of fundraising progress and producing accurate reports for the Executive Director, Financial Team, and Board of Directors.
Maintaining relationships with Foundation officers and members of the philanthropic community.
- Cultivate relationships with new and established donors, develop strategies to encourage new gifts and identify new sources of revenues, and increase current contribution.
Developing and identifying grant and donor prospects.
- Oversee SAJE’s online presence and online fundraising program (training to be provided if necessary).
- Writing grants, grant reports, and letters of intent.
- Managing individual giving program (donor and membership solicitation).
- Coordinating all special events, including SAJE’s annual bowlathon.
- Supervision of Development Associate, development interns, and volunteers.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience as a Development Director, working on campaign management with demonstrated ability to solicit and close financial agreements with foundation funders and donors.
- Proven capacity to raise a $1.3 million budget through diverse means including grants, donors, memberships, and special events.
- Superior networking and planning skills, combined with an ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines.
- Strong understanding of the fundraising environment in Los Angeles;
- Entrepreneurial approach to fundraising.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills.
- Supervisory management skills.
- Strong commitment/passion for social/economic justice.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with a diverse range of people including SAJE donors, board, staff, and members.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Willingness to troubleshoot problems and seek solutions.
- Heart, humility and humor.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks.
- Highly responsible and reliable.
- Self-motivated, self-directed and able to work independently with minimal supervision as well as ease in working collaboratively.
- Marketing, media, and promotions experience a plus.
- Commitment to, and understanding of, SAJE’s mission for progressive social change, and enthusiasm for SAJE’s work.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary ranges from $55,000 to $65,000 depending on experience. SAJE has an excellent benefits package that includes a 403(b) and generous vacation benefits.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and résumé, along with two (2) grant-writing samples to:
152 West 32nd Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90007
*Only COMPLETE applications that include cover letter, resume, and required writing samples will be reviewed*
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled