ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF HEALTH INITIATIVES
LAʼs Promise (formerly MLA Partner Schools) is a non-profit organization that is radically shifting the
education, health and social outcomes for thousands of youth in one South Los Angeles community.
Within an area we call “LAʼs Promise Neighborhood,” LAʼs Promise transforms chronically failing public
schools, opens new schools and remakes schools into community hubs that offer comprehensive
support services for students and families.
LAʼs Promise is seeking an Associate Director of Health Initiatives to design and implement high
impact health initiatives for 8,000 students and their families. He/she will work under limited
supervision with considerable latitude and independent judgement. This person will be tasked with
working with various stakeholders including parents, teachers and health partners to develop
exceptional health programs that are integrated into the school day and radically shift the health
outcomes for thousands of youth.
• Execute the organizationʼs universal health screening program.
o Ensure high student participation through various outreach activities such as classroom
presentations, parent meetings and community health fairs.
o Collaborate with the schoolʼs health provider, St. Johns Family Well Child Center, to
develop an efficient system for implementing student screenings. Manage all logistics
including collecting consent forms, maintaining records and scheduling screenings.
o Develop a health intervention program for students with high health needs (Program
would include components such as fitness activities, nutrition education, healthy cooking
courses and parent education classes).
• Develop a plan to improve health and physical education (PE) courses across all school sites.
o Collaborate with LAʼs Promiseʼs academic team and the schoolsʼ health and PE
teachers to augment health and PE curriculum. Curriculum will be aligned to California
State standards but will feature non-traditional activities such as yoga and kickboxing
during PE classes.
o Support the development of the health and PE departmentʼs professional development
program. Provide ongoing support to teachers to ensure the successful implementation
• Work under the direction of the VP of Community and Health Services to develop and
implement other high impact health initiatives.
o Research successful school based health models that have been proven to improve
student health outcomes.
o Expand the scope of universal health screenings to include all schools and to
incorporate a mental health screening.
o Develop innovative, high value community health projects (ex. social enterprise project,
community garden, school lunch program) within LAʼs Promise Neighborhood. Develop
detailed work plans, manage milestones/deliverables and drive overall project to a
• Other duties as assigned
• At least 5 years experience as a health advocate/leader in an underserved community.
• Strong organizational, administrative, verbal and written communication skills
• Strong project management skills and background
• Resourceful, creative, able to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively
• A strong collaborator, good listener and strategist; comfortable receiving input from many
sources, and able to analyze and formulate disparate information into a sound, well-organized
• Entrepreneurial - a self starter with a high energy level, an action-oriented individual who
excels with limited supervision
• BA/BS required; Advanced degree in health related field preferred
• Spanish language skills a plus
This is a permanent full-time immediate opening in Los Angeles, CA. Competitive compensation
based on experience.
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on LAʼs Promise, visit www.laspromise.org