POSITION SUMMARY The Downtown Women’s Center seeks a full-time Social Worker to provide individualized case management, health linkage services, and counseling to homeless and formerly homeless women. Through personalized support and advocacy, this position works to connect women with housing, basic needs, medical and mental health services, job training, and public benefits where eligible. The Social Worker is a member of the Clinical Health Services team and works as part of a team of case managers and health professionals to empower women to achieve and maintain personal stability. The Social Worker – Medical will play a key role in the success of the new DWC women’s health center. The position will provide direct services to clients with a focus on helping women access services and treatment necessary to manage chronic health and mental health issues. This position will collaborate with staff and area service providers to connect clients to a medical home/primary care and public benefits, as well as increase client’s knowledge of and adherence to treatment plans. This position may: conduct clinic intake assessments, coordinate activities of medical and mental health professionals including appointment scheduling, facilitate timely and appropriate treatment through client support and advocacy, assist with coordination of care plans, schedule health education and screening activities, and facilitate client support groups. This position will work as part of a multi-agency collaborative to address the incidence of diabetes, obesity and behavioral health issues in the Skid Row community.
- Provide individualized case management services to clients; create individual service plans that address each clients’ needs and goals, identify and provide needed resources and referrals
- Provide counseling and therapeutic services as needed
- Assist clients in securing housing, basic needs, medical and mental health services including substance abuse treatment when necessary, job training access, and public benefits where eligible
- Work to effectively meet client needs and resolve individual barriers through follow-up, advocacy and collaboration with DWC staff and other community service providers
- Maintain accurate and timely records of: activities, case management notes, and services provided to each client
- Provide crisis intervention and group facilitation as necessary
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients, staff and local service providers, participate in community meetings pertaining to services benefitting clients, and serve as a representative of DWC at community events
- Provide regular, written reports to the Director of Clinical Health Services and additional reports as assigned
- Provide supervision and guidance to interns and volunteers in the provision of services to clients Other duties as assigned to support the mission of the organization
Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field required, MSW preferred. Along with a strong knowledge of the complexity of poverty and women’s homelessness, mental illness, trauma, substance abuse, health issues, and older adults Two years experience working as a social worker/similar position and knowledge of community resources required Experience working in a medical, mental health or public health setting preferred Excellent active listening and crisis intervention skills with ability to exercise and model good judgment Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities, including proficiency in balancing direct service responsibilities with effective record keeping Ability to work effectively on multiple teams while meeting the needs of both the clients and the organization Strong administrative skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) required Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; proven ability to communicate with diverse audiences Criminal background check and clearance required Current valid California state driver’s license, insurance, and vehicle with good driving record Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English a plus
SCHEDULE & SALARY: This is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm; with flexibility to work evenings and weekends when necessary. Salary range $35,000-40,000/annually depending on qualifications & experience.
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume to HR@DWCweb.org. Please include “Social Worker-Medical” in the subject line of your email.