JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Familias Unidas Component Coordinator
InnerCity Struggle (ICS) is a social justice, community-building, and membership-led organization based in the Eastside of Los Angeles. ICS promotes safe, healthy and non-violent communities by organizing youth and families in Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles, El Sereno and Lincoln Heights to work toward social justice. ICS was founded in 1994 as an independent center that builds community leadership to improve the quality of life for Eastside residents.
- ICS won student, parent, teacher and community support to bring autonomy and additional resources into Roosevelt HS, its two feeder middle schools and one feeder elementary school through the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools (PLAS)
- ICS secured $200 million from the QEIA (SB 1133) funds for Eastside schools to support class size reduction and increase A-G availability.
- ICS was one of the lead organizations of Communities for Educational Equity that won the passage of the “A-G Life Prep" resolution in LAUSD to ensure the curriculum would be part of the new high school graduation requirements to ensure all students graduate college eligible.
- ICS won the building of a new elementary school and two new high schools in East Los Angeles.
- ICS won the approval of five Pilot Schools at Esteban E. Torres High School (ETHS) resulting in greater school autonomy and a more personalized education for the students at ETHS.
InnerCity Struggle is seeking an experienced Community Organizer to coordinate our Familias Unidas/United Families (FaU) component. FaU builds a powerful base of parents and community members who are organized to work toward educational justice in public education. FaU builds community and parent leadership that advocates for a progressive voice on issues and policies impacting the Eastside.
The FaU Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Coordinate monthly FaU base meetings with general members.
- Coordinate monthly FaU Coordinating Committee meetings with parent leaders.
- Develop outreach strategies to to continuously build the base of parents in FaU.
- Train FaU members on various aspects related to community organizing.
- Conduct political education with FaU members.
- Facilitate meetings, coordinate events, and assist in organizing component and organizational actions.
- Build alliances with school representatives, parent organizations and other potential allies.
- Participate in campaign development and strategy.
- And other duties as identified by the Associate Director.
- Experience working with parents and community residents
- Minimum two years experience in community/labor organizing
- Commitment to systemic social change and strong desire to build a social movement in Los Angeles
- Understanding of urban educational and school issues
- Independent worker, initiative-taker, good problem-solver, and detail oriented
- Ability to work in a team setting and provide/receive constructive feedback
- Ability to work effectively with school and District officials
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of computer programs preferred (Microsoft Office, Graphics/Layout programs)
- College Graduate preferred
- Car is required (with liability insurance)
- Bilingual in English & Spanish
This is a full-time position. Salary to be negotiated based on qualifications and experience. Full medical benefits included. The position is open until filled.
Send cover letter and resume to: Henry Perez, Associate Director. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Civic Engagement Outreach Coordinator
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 28th, 2011
InnerCity Struggle (ICS) is a social justice, community-building, and membership led organization based in Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles, El Sereno and Lincoln Heights. ICS promotes safe, healthy and non-violent communities by organizing youth and families from the Eastside to work toward social justice. ICS was founded in 1994 as an independent center to build community leadership to improve the quality of life in East Los Angeles.
InnerCity Struggle is seeking a Civic Engagement Outreach Coordinator with voter engagement experience to work on a 3-week civic engagement program in the East Los Angeles area. ICS’ Civic Engagement Program will begin on Sunday, Oct 16th and culminate on Saturday, November 5th. Voter contacts will be conducted by phone and door to door canvassing.
The Civic Engagement Outreach Coordinator will supervise 20 paid volunteers and will manage phone bank and door-to-door outreach operations. The Coordinator will work a total of 6 hours per day and 30 hours per week.
The hours will be scheduled:
Sunday – Thursday, 3:00 pm – 9:00pm
Saturday, 8:30 am - 2:30pm
Outreach Coordinator responsibilities:
- Attend a mandatory orientation
- Arrive to the phone banking location on time
- Track 20 paid volunteers’ hours and work
- Manage operation and execution of phone banks
- Dispatch canvassers
- Work with I.T. staff to troubleshoot technology issues
- Use a computer-based system to track and report voter contacts on a daily basis
- Provide support to Civic Engagement Coordinator
- Bilingual English/Spanish a must
- Licensed driver with own transportation
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Comfortable working in a large team
- Ability to work cooperatively under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Interest and willingness to engage with voters from East Los Angeles
Please submit response and résumé via email to Lydia Avila, Civic Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com. No Phonecalls please.