UDWA Job Description: Assistant Legislative Director, Sacramento UDWA Overview: UDW Homecare Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 91,000 homecare providers in 21 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
Job Summary: UDW’s legislative department advocates on behalf of 91,000 In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) providers throughout California. The department is responsible for monitoring state-level legislation and public policy impacting UDW members and the IHSS program. The department supports regular member engagement in policy making at the capitol.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in developing and implementing the union’s legislative program.
• Write, analyze, and track legislation.
• Lobby on behalf of the union’s priorities and testify at policy and budget hearings.
• Analyze and summarize state budget proposals pertaining to IHSS.
• Analyze and respond to draft IHSS program rules and regulations.
• Assist other departments in UDW with implementing IHSS program rules and regulations.
• Collaborate with IHSS stakeholders and coalition partners, and represent the union in various coalitions and stakeholder groups.
• Update union members on important legislation and budget items at membership meetings, and lead member lobbying activities at the capitol.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must have a thorough understanding of the legislative process and significant experience with legislative advocacy.
• Must have significant policy or programmatic experience with IHSS, MediCal, and/or other publicly funded health or human services programs.
• Must be able to analyze complex public policy issues and communicate these issues effectively to legislators, union members and the general public.
• Must have outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Must have impeccable attention to detail.
• Must be comfortable with taking initiative and working independently.
• Must demonstrate strong commitment to labor movement or other social justice movements.
• Must be skilled with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Bachelor’s degree in Government, Social Work, Labor Studies, Public Policy, Political Science or other related field. Master’s degree preferred.
To Apply For This Position Mail, email or fax a detailed resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Email: In subject of email: email@example.com Position Title of Position you are applying for
Mail: AFSCME UDWA Local 3930 c/o Human Resources 4855 Seminole Dr San Diego, CA 92115
Fax: (619) 640-9903 Attn: Human Resources
Applicants can contact Kristina Bas Hamilton directly at firstname.lastname@example.org