ZERO TO THREE:
Founded in 1977 by top experts in child development, health and mental health, ZERO TO THREE is a national, nonprofit organization that informs, trains, and supports professionals, policymakers, and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers. To learn more about ZERO TO THREE programs, funded projects and the organization’s leadership, please visit their website at www.zerotothree.org.
The Western Office Director’s main role is to advance the overall mission of ZERO TO THREE in the western United States, with a principal focus on California. He/She will oversee and manage the Western Office, which currently consists of five positions: Regional Manager of Outreach and Professional Development, Administrative Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Research Associate and Senior Policy Analyst. The Western Office Director will report directly to the Executive Director of ZERO TO THREE.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and sustaining relationships with key partners, stakeholders, foundations and other sources of support to ensure soundness and successful growth of the Western Office. Ideally, the candidate will have experience and a strong track record in the establishment
and management of relationships with funders, specifically in the Western region. Not only will initiating these relationships be important for the Director, but also nurturing and managing them over time will be key to this person’s success.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Overseeing implementation of all goals and objectives of the Western Office, reflecting the overall
mission of ZERO TO THREE.
• Creating and maintaining relationships with stakeholders including Board members, ZERO TO
THREE Fellows, policy makers, organizations, foundations, and the general public, to advance the
mission and keep abreast of funding opportunities.
• Creating and maintaining partnerships and collaborative relationships which advance the
programmatic and policy activities of the organization and lead to new funding opportunities.
• Identifying and expanding opportunities for growth, responding to local and regional needs which
build on ZERO TO THREE’s knowledge and expertise in program and policy.
• Ensuring effective resource management of the Western Office and its related projects including
development of fundraising strategies, proposals, and outreach to individual donors and foundations.
• Representing and serving as a spokesperson for ZERO TO THREE on local, state and regional
committees and task forces.
• In collaboration with the finance staff, overseeing the development and regular review of the annual
Western Office budget.
• Supervising major contracts and foundation grants and acting as the primary contact for west coast
• Reviewing grant proposals and reports to foundations.
• Representing ZERO TO THREE by participating in public events, attending and presenting at
conferences and workshops, in order to raise awareness of infant-toddler issues as it relates to
targeted fundraising goals.
• Conducting weekly calls with the Executive Director and the Chief Development Officer to discuss
strategy and progress related to established fundraising goals and overall Western Office operations.
• Assuring coordination and collaboration with other program areas and activities within ZERO TO
THREE (e.g. participate in Development and Program Team meetings).
• Collaborating and providing direction and leadership to staff, including overseeing recruitment,
recommending new hires, and supervising and evaluating performance of employees.
• Supervising the office and other administrative duties associated with maintaining the Western
Office leased space, including any information technology or telephone equipment subcontracts.
An undergraduate degree and an advanced degree, preferably in early childhood education, nonprofit
management, public health or a related field, is required.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package will be
provided. Relocation assistance, if needed, is negotiable.
If you are interested in applying for this position, email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com