Thursday, March 22, 2012
ROC United Posting
The Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC-U) is a national restaurant workers’ organization that seeks improved wages and working conditions for the nation’s low-wage restaurant workforce. ROC engages in three areas of work: waging campaigns for justice against low-road employers; promoting responsible employers taking the ‘high road’ to profitability; and conducting research and policy work to lift conditions industry-wide. ROC’s strategy for change is to develop the leadership of restaurant workers to lead and advocate for workplace justice and research & policy campaigns that improve the lives of restaurant workers.
ROC is seeking a full-time senior-level Communications Director to lead and direct ROC’s traditional media work and to launch ROC’s new trans-media Consumer Engagement Campaign and online organizing campaign. Applicant should have a minimum of 5 years experience in a senior directorship position. Job requires demonstrated ability to plan and implement press strategies in support of ROC, including press outreach via Internet, phone and direct contact. The applicant should also have experience and ability to write press advisories and press releases. The Communications Director will also work with other communications staff, write and edit op-ed pieces for ROC spokespersons, arrange editorial board meeting, help local ROC chapters around the country implement their own press strategies, and work with others to maintain and update the ROC website.
Finally, the applicant should have the ability to work well with others, to work independently once direction is given, and to be flexible working with ROC volunteers and supporters.
LOCATION IS FLEXIBLE –New York, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Bay Area, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, & Detroit
· Direct ROC’s Communications team,
· Creating a strategic plan for communications work, including a multi-year transmedia campaign that includes the promotion an upcoming book and movie on the organization’s work, and the use of these cultural tools to advance our ongoing campaigns
· Handle Press Relations, including building relationships with editors, journalists, and bloggers; write press advisories and releases, reach out to media in local and national markets and web-based media such as blogs;
· Develop and implement national social media outreach plan
· Build capacity of local ROC chapters to conduct traditional and social media outreach
· Develop visual content to support ROC campaigns and projects, including innovative media such as video & graphics, contracting consultants as necessary;
· Work with Development Director and Executive Staff to support fundraising campaigns
· Direct ROC’s Consumer Engagement Campaign; and
· Other Responsibilities as needed
Qualifications:· Minimum 5-7 years of communications experience, at least 2-3 of management experience
· Strong framing and storytelling skills
· Strong supervision and teambuilding skills
· Strong interest in and commitment to labor/community organizing and social, economic and racial justice
· Experience and skill in use of social media tools
· Ability to effectively communicate, both in writing and verbally, relaying complicated information in a user-friendly manner
· Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and manage own projects
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Must have a flexible schedule to accommodate some weekend and evening hours
· Restaurant experience a plus
· Bachelor’s, Master’s or Professional degree (MSW, JD, MPP) degree in a relevant field (not mandatory)
· Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply:Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Saru Jayaraman at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.