Office of Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa
Homelessness Policy Coordinator
The Office of the Mayor is seeking to fill the position of Homelessness Policy Coordinator to lead and coordinate the Mayor’s policies on homelessness. This position will require working closely with city, county, state and federal governmental entities, as well as the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, and the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors, to ensure that necessary resources are available and that policies and programs are well coordinated.
The Homelessness Policy Coordinator will report to the Deputy Mayor of Housing & Economic Opportunity in the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Economic Development.
The Office is seeking qualified candidates for this new position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Completing and implementing a state and federal homelessness legislative agenda in consultation with the Mayor, Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority and other homelessness policy experts.
2. On behalf of the Mayor, provide support to local planning efforts that would result in a reduction of homelessness in the City of Los Angeles.
3. Serving as the Mayor’s liaison to, and working closely with, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority.
4. With direction and support from Inter-Governmental Relations department, serving as liaison to City Council offices engaged in solutions on homelessness, and building joint efforts and a coordinated approach.
5. Partnering and coordinating with LA County, other jurisdictions, non-profit organizations, service providers, philanthropic organizations, and other relevant community stakeholders to implement citywide and regional systems that effectively address homelessness.
6. Stay abreast of homelessness-related trends that would have implications on current policies and/or require development of new homeless related policies. This might include, developing and maintaining communications with private sector, policy institutes, elected officials, non-profit organizations as well as regularly reviewing policy reviews and relevant data.
7. Develop policy strategies designed to address underlying systemic forces shaping homelessness and homelessness prevention in Los Angeles’ and relevant crosscutting public policy areas.
8. Exercise initiative in identifying homelessness issues that require changes in or creation of city policy in areas such as, but not limited to, social services, housing, criminal justice, and strategies to promote employment and wages for low-earning workers.
9. Communicate the Mayor’s policies and positions to senior level decision makers in government, private and non-profit sectors and philanthropy.
10. Provide assistance to others on Mayor’s staff on homelessness matters involving their own subject areas, such as education, economic development, intergovernmental relations and housing.
11. Planning and coordinating the Mayor’s visits to, and meetings with, private sector, service providers, other government representatives and local communities.
12. Draft and present memos and briefing for Mayor and Senior staff on homelessness policies, strategies, issues, and events.
B.A. is required; a Master’s Degree is preferable, in public policy, public administration, planning, or social work.
5+ minimum years experience in a relevant area of work.
Experience in government or a similarly complex organization strongly desirable.
Ability to effectively problem-solve, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and objectives.
Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity.
Aptitude to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, political environment.
Experience in quantitative analysis and proven analytical ability.
Excellent writing and communication skills are mandatory.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Includes full benefits package.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Office of Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa
Deputy Mayor Helmi Hisserich
C/O: Jessica Lopez, Assistant to Deputy Mayor Helmi Hisserich
200 N. Spring St., 13th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012
FAX: (213) 978-0780