Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE)
Exciting Opportunity for a Community Organizer
with a Commitment to Economic Justice
The Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE) has been at the forefront of the economic justice movement in L.A. since 1994. LAANE is known for its broad-based labor/community coalitions and its combination of organizing, research, communications, and policy development. LAANE led the movement to pass a Living Wage Ordinance in the city of L.A. in 1997 and continues to advocate for progressive policies that benefit low-wage workers and low-income communities. For more information about our work, visit www.laane.org.
Campaign Description: LAANE is currently seeking a full-time experienced community organizer to help develop and implement a strategy for community engagement and leadership to win justice for workers in — and communities affected by — the Los Angeles grocery industry business practices which leave entire communities without adequate access to healthy food options and good jobs.
This campaign seeks to:
* Achieve economic justice for low-wage, grocery workers without whom retail food consumption could not take place;
* Improve food access for the hundreds of thousands of people who live throughout the underserved communities of South LA, East LA and the Northeast San Fernando Valley, who are currently plagued by devastating health impacts;
* Achieve environmental justice for the hundreds of thousands of people who live within communities underserved by the grocery industry whom want to live environmentally sustainable lifestyles and are currently plagued by devastating health impacts;
Position Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Campaign Director, the Community Organizer is responsible for
* Leading efforts for community outreach, recruitment, education and grassroots political action in South LA neighborhoods;
* Coordinating activities with coalition partners and building coalition membership;
* Coordinating the content and logistics for public events & large-scale mobilizations; and
* Coordinating organizing work with research and public policy staff on the campaign.
Qualifications: Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to economic justice and the labor movement. Also needed: willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary and ability to work independently. Skills required:
* Excellent analytical skills, written, verbal, communications and computer skills,
* Strong community outreach, organizing and engagement skills,
* Proven track record in leading a team.
* Driving your own car required. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Terms of employment: LAANE’s salary and benefit standards are very competitive. Salary will depend on qualifications and experience. Full health benefits; pension; generous time off; parking. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. E-mail cover letter and resume to Roxana Tynan at firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls please. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.
LAANE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.